Orientation Sessions for Physicians Trained Outside Canada
The Welcome Collaborative is designed to support physicians who have trained outside of Canada have been issued a medical licence and are new to practising in Nova Scotia. While the orientation program is aimed to help physicians to successfully integrate into the healthcare system, the feedback from participating participants provides invaluable insight into how we can better support their onboarding and success in practice.
The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Nova Scotia developed the Welcome Collaborative which is delivered by several physician leaders and partner organizations including:
- Nova Scotia Health
- Immigrant Services Association of Nova Scotia
- Doctors Nova Scotia
- Department of Health and Wellness
- Nova Scotia Prescription Monitoring Program
- Dalhousie Medicine Continuing Professional Development
- Office of Health Care Professionals Recruitment
- Nova Scotia Medical Services Insurance (MSI)
- Dalhousie Faculty of Medicine
- Canadian Medical Protective Association
- Placemaking 4G (P4G)
Welcome Collaborative Pilot
The orientation program was piloted in October 2022 with eight newly licensed doctors.
The provincial government has invested $1.3 million to develop this orientation program offering doctors coming to Nova Scotia support, mentorship, and a sense of community. The program will be evaluated to determine its impact.